Thursday, June 20, 2013

Day 28, Thursday, 20 June, Tuttle Creek Lake Campground to Topeka

The analogy for the day is Ahab's quest for the white whale in Moby Dick. I remember reading the book with the foreboding knowledge that, in the end, Ahab's quest would be futile and the whale would conquer. Today we rode into a headwind. At first I thought that the effect would be minimal. In the end, however, I recognized that any attempt to counteract the effect of the wind would be futile and that, in the end, the wind would conquer me.

We enjoyed a bike path as we left Manhattan.

We saw a massive Cargill plant on the way into Topeka.

We rode 64.8 miles. We rode the last 31.81 miles at an average speed of 9.7 miles. (My helmet jarred the computer at lunch.) My maximum speed after lunch was 19.9 mph.



No comments:

Post a Comment